Friday, September 14, 2012

Talk about beyond your comfort zone!

In previous posts I made mention of Project 33, the year-long self-improvement plan I began following my 32nd birthday. Well, what better way to celebrate the conclusion of that project (and my 33rd birthday) than by completing the Tough Mudder

For anyone who hasn't heard, obstacle challenges are the new trend in outdoor racing. The races combine the endurance of distance runs with the physical and mental challenge of military-style obstacles. The Tough Mudder is possibly the most well known of these events, particularly for its distance (11-13 miles) and intense obstacles (designed by British Special Forces), taking 3.5 hours on average to complete. These guys aren't fooling around! 

I have never been further from my comfort zone, both mentally and physically. In the weeks leading up to the event, we increased our training so that by race day, I was arguably in the best shape of my life. How great is it to say that at 33! In the days leading up to the event, I cycled through almost every emotion possible: from nervousness and apprehension to anxiety and panic to anticipation and excitement to just plain fear. The event itself was a test of will, determination and mental grit in addition to physical ability. And I can honestly this birthday ranks among my favourite, second only to the one I spent in Rome. 

Can't wait for next year! Already pre-registered.

No comments: