Sunday, March 4, 2012

Go Introverts!

You know when you spend hours poring over a really great blog post and save it for later, only to realize that you actually deleted it? Ya, that's what happened here. This is now my haphazard attempt to recreate the genius insight that formerly occupied this space.

As an introvert, I'm generally reluctant to meet new people, and sometimes unmotivated to interact with people I already know. I've always maintained that my best work days are spent sitting in front of my computer, with little to no human interaction at all. At conferences, I beeline it to the emptiest table, stirring my coffee, avoiding eye contact. I loathe networking. In social situations, I'm the quiet observer that everyone else thinks is stuck up. I have even been known to turn down plans with friends in favour of a quiet night to myself. 

I've often felt that my introversion was generally stifling my potential for social and professional success. However, I felt incredibly validated this morning by Susan Cain's TED talk. Introverts rock! And make significant contributions to society. We need to band together! (Wait, is the very act of banding together counter-introversive?)

On the other hand, I do realize that some of my introversion, especially lately, has been the result of complacency, of being stuck in a rut. That's why I decided to challenge myself to talk to a stranger every day for 30 days.  I have to say, it's kind of exhilarating, not only because it takes so much courage to slowly turn to the random person next to you and start talking, but also because you have no idea how that person might react! 

Is talking to strangers one of your 30-day challenges? Tell us about your experience so far in the comments section.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Go Introverts! I see a lot of myself in what you wrote so thanks for that post!
Speaking to strangers isn't one of my challenges, but I think it's a great one...maybe next time :)
Can't wait to hear how the rest of the month goes for you!