Monday, October 1, 2012

Two weeks, four books!

Another of my two-week challenges for September was to finish four books. I didn't set out with a reading list in advance, I just picked up what caught my attention at the time. I had forgotten how much I love reading, and hadn't been making much time for it. However, knowing that I had to complete my challenge (and was therefore doing something productive, not just idly sitting with a book), I was able to read guilt-free.

Here's what I read:

Discover Your Inner Economist by Tyler Cowen
This one piqued my interest since I have a degree in economics, with a particular interest in consumer behaviour. It's been a long time since I revisited any of the concepts I learned in university so when I read the summary of this book, I was sold. Cowen discusses using microeconomic strategies (incentives) in real-life situations. It made for very interesting reading.

Why We Love by Helen Fisher
You'll note that I also watched two TED talks of Fisher's, which essentially summarize the concepts in her book. She discusses the nature and chemistry of romantic love and what love looks like in the brain. It was a fascinating read.

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
The sequel to Wolf Hall, this novel continues the story of Thomas Cromwell in his service to King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, and it was my guilty pleasure! It had been so long since I picked up any form of fiction that it was a real treat to read. I thoroughly enjoyed Wolf Hall, I equally enjoyed Bring Up the Bodies, and I eagerly await Mantel's next novel.

Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
This was actually a re-read for me. After watching Gilbert's TED talk, I decided to take up the book again and I got just as much out of the second read as the first. Fascinating.

I'm continuing the reading challenge into October with one book per week. Four books in two weeks was pushing it a bit, especially since Bring Up the Bodies was 400 pages!

No comments: